Ever thought salad was boring? Try this version.
You can make a heap and have some with lunch and dinner over several days – a great time saver. It will last a couple of days when you store the bulk in a press seal bag (gently press out the air) with some kitchen paper placed inside to absorb moisture.
- Mixed Salad Leaves – as a base
- Butter Lettuce
- Baby Spinach
- Bean Sprouts
- Mint leaves
- Cilantro (Coriander)
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- A couple of slices of Red (Spanish) Onion – not the whole onion
- If your favorite salad green is missing – just add it!
Was everything carefully (preferably in purified water) to remove any grit. Pat dry – the drier the better.
- Tear lettuce leaves into smallish pieces.
- Roughly chop the Mint, Cilantro (coriander) and Parsley.
- Finely julienne the carrot.
- Slice the Cucumber
- Cut the (cherry or grape) tomatoes in half.
- Very finely chop the Red Onion slices
- Toss all ingredients together.
Make a tasty dressing in quantities to suit the volume of salad mix you have made. Try this one:-
- Lime Juice – lots
- Sweet chilli sauce – about the same quantity as the lime juice
- Thai fish sauce – a couple of splashes – provides balance to the sweet sauce
- A few grinds of salt and pepper
TIP: Don’t add the dressing to the bulk of the salad mix – only add just before serving.
TIP: Slice up a whole red onion and keep the slices in the freezer – just take out a slice when you need it. The frozen slice is very easy to finely chop. Even one slice finely chopped adds lots of flavor to a salad without it tasting of raw onion.