“Hundreds of years of natural farming and selection have resulted in a huge genetic variation in all vegetable types. Vital Vegetables® mines this natural diversity to discover varieties that are high in powerful, long-lasting antioxidants, as well as being great tasting and long-lasting.
Vital Vegetables® are selected and grown using only traditional growing and farming techniques – no genetic engineering is used in any way. They are also owned and grown by local growers using sustainable farming practices, including minimal fertiliser and water use.
All Vital Vegetables® have the same fresh taste of regular vegetable varieties the only difference is they are packed with more antioxidants to boost your natural defences and vitality.
Booster BroccoliTM is the first in a range of Vital Vegetables® and looks just like any other regular broccoli.
Booster BroccoliTM is a brassica variety that contains over 40 percent more active antioxidants than regular broccoli varieties. It has been scientifically proven to contain significantly higher levels of the power antioxidant, sulforaphane (SF) than other regular varieties of broccoli. Sulforaphane is a long-lasting antioxidant that has been proven to protect humans from serious disease if consumed several times a week according to studies and clinical trials (Juge et al. 2007; Jeffery & Araya 2009; Traka & Mithen 2009).
Studies indicate that 70grams of Booster BroccoliTM should be consumed at least three times a week for maximum health benefits. The strong antioxidant ability of SF stimulates the body’s natural defense systems and has been shown to reduce inflammation that can lead to heart disease (Wu et al. 2004).
In time, Vital Vegetables® will research and grow a whole range of antioxidant-rich vegetables including tomatoes, corn, capsicum, cauliflower and lettuce.”
This article is from Vital Vegetables – see a recipe below
Creamy Booster BroccoliTM Chicken Pasta By Dr. Joanna McMillan Price (nutritionist)
A delightfully quick and healthy pasta dish combining the natural goodness of Booster Broccoli with spanish onion, garlic, chicken and cream cheese.
400g penne pasta,
2tb olive oil,
1 red onion (finely diced),
2 cloves garlic (finely sliced),
500g chicken breasts (sliced),
1tb plain unbleached flour,
1 glass (100ml) white wine,
1 cup low fat milk,
3tb cream cheese,
1 head broccoli(cut into florets),
pinch sea salt,
ground black pepper
- Bring large pan of water to boiling and add pasta, stirring every so often to prevent it sticking together. Once al dente drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large flat non-stick pan and sauté the onion and garlic and softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken and brown all over.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat before adding the wine and milk. Stir well, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cream cheese, season to taste and add the broccoli, Cook for a few minutes to soften the broccoli but do not over cook. The broccoli should remain a bright green colour.
- Stir through cooked pasta and serve immediately topped with a little grated parmesan cheese.