New Superfoods in the news…
CSIRO scientists can’t stop talking about the cereal discovery that they believe is helping to control diabetes, improve digestion, reduce weight and lower cholesterol. In the science world the words ‘supergrain’ and ‘resistant starch’ are huge right now, and our team of testers give us the half-time results of their 100-day trial of the new Barleymax cereal.
I’ve seen this cereal for sale in Woolworths.
“It might look like another breakfast cereal — but this supergrain is a scientific breakthrough that has the potential to save lives.
Australian scientists have developed BARLEYmax® (BARLEYmax is a trademark of CSIRO Australia) — an all-natural grain that amazingly can help you stay slim, while helping to fight cancer and diabetes.
Its health benefits are supported by clinical trials conducted by CSIRO and published in scientific journals.
How does it work?
It has twice as much fibre as any other cereal, so more of it ends up in the large intestine.
- It contains high levels resistant-starch to help build healthy intestinal bacteria.
- It contains bacteria that can stave off serious disease, constipation and irritiable bowel-related illnesses.
What evidence is there?
CSIRO Human Nutrition’s animal and human trials found:
BARLEYmax® breakfast cereals had a GI Glycaemic index (GI) of 50, compared to a conventional barley cereal GI of 77.
- The GL (glycaemic load) was only 40 per cent of most barley cereals and led to a substantially lower insulin response.
- BARLEYmax® has high levels of β-Glucan , a soluble fibre with cholesterol lowering properties.
What does it taste like?
The natural sweetness of means it has an appealing taste without added sugar.
Where can it be used?
BARLEYmax® can be used to produce:
- extruded and rolled breakfast cereals
- health bars”
This product was developed in Australia by the CSIRO – Enquiries to
Thanks to A Current Affair for this article.