It’s not something we talk about. Generally we don’t even want to think about what’s going on inside there. Unless we have a problem. Even then we find it embarrassing.
Recognizing your colon as a major organ which affects the way you feel every day is a step towards improving your life.
The old saying is “death begins in the colon” is literally true. However, I recommend you turn this into a more positive “health begins in the colon”.
Our colon’s function is to act as your body’s sewage system. Effectively eliminating dangerous toxins. Problems occur when this process becomes inefficient, then retained waste leads to re-absorption of toxins into your bloodstream.
Are laxatives the answer? Absolutely not. These may seem like an easy fix. They are not. You can become dependent on them, and over time your colon’s normal ability to naturally eliminate waste will be permanently destroyed. Laxatives should be considered only a very temporary solution to a specific problem.
What your body needs is fiber (or fibre depending on where on the plant you live). Fiber is a safe and natural way of enhancing your body’s ability to rid itself of wastes and toxins.
Fiber acts as:-
- A Bulking agent – fiber absorbs water in your digestive tract, bulking out the waste matter and allowing it to pass through more easily. This reduces the transit time, therefore reducing your exposure to toxins in the waste. Think of a sponge soaking up the toxins. Studies have confirmed a link between having enough fiber in your diet and a lower risk of colorectal cancer.
- A Cleansing agent – fiber helps to cleanse the colon by gently sweeping the colon clean of compacted, putrefying, waste materials and helping to eliminate excess cholesterol and dietary toxins. Think of a brush physically cleaning your colon.
- Fiber also helps normalize blood sugar levels.
The aim of the game is cleansing, detoxifying and improving transit time.
The issue with our modern diet is that it is severely low on fiber. Processed food, refined carbohydrates like bread, biscuits, pastas, soft drinks and polished rice are almost devoid of fiber and nutrients.
As a consequence we suffer conditions like:-
- varicose veins
- digestive problems
- fatigue/chronic tiredness
- aches and pains
- insulin resistance, and eventually diabetes
- increased risk of cancer
Where can you get high quality fiber? Eat a diet which includes high fiber fresh fruits and vegetables. Supplement your diet with high fiber.